Access to necessary medical care is guaranteed for Albertans.
Alberta residents are required to register for the Health Care Insurance Plan.
Get full information and your forms online.
Resources for Health Care and Information
- Alberta Blue Cross is a not-for-profit organization that provides supplementary health and dental benefit plans.
- Alberta Health and Wellness contains information about how to access health care services.
- Canada Online has links to information on the organization of the Alberta Health system, waitlists, and access to supplemental benefits and prescription drugs.
- Alberta Health Services provides comprehensive information about all the health services in Edmonton and the Capital region, with listings for hospitals, public health centres, care facilities and clinics, and emergency services. You can even contact them to find a family physician fluent in your native language.
- Health Link Alberta is a 24-hour service that connects people to registered nurses.
- College of Physicians and Surgeons is an excellent resource for finding a local doctor who is currently accepting new patients.
Alberta Dental Association and College provides information on finding dentists in Edmonton.
If you have a medical problem with your eyes, make an appointment with a family physician. He or she will refer you to an eye specialist.
If you need your vision tested, select an optometrist.
Medicentres are health care clinics open seven days a week, and no appointment is necessary.